This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

This Year

No dreaming in Michigan, it is definitely a white Christmas.  The presents have been opened, the wrapping thrown away,the cats have had their Santa treat and reverted to Garfield mode on the bed.  Quiet time now to reflect and plan.  Last year the highlights began when Chicago got hit with a 9" snowstorm the night before I was going to the Shakespeare theater.
Chicago's parks department impressed me.  At 9AM the Lakeshore Trail was completely cleared and salted.  I could have ridden my road bike from S. Chicago
to the theater where I was treated to a really imaginative production of Julius Caesar.
A few weeks later I got the chance to make a ride in W. Chicago.  This time it was a meet up with a great bunch of Classic and Vintage bike freaks  for a ride through the Illinois countryside.
Later in the spring came our annual trail fundraiser, again the weather scared away all but the hearty.
It was a good time for those of us who braved the weather.
Our bike camp drew a record number of newbies.   Hopefully they will continue to develop their new found skills.  One quote I like from a past participant was,
 "I went from white knuckles to pure love."
And, Springtime brings out the wildlife.  This beautiful lady was searching for place for her eggs.
I finally found the city biking accessory I have wanted for years, "Glo Gloves."
They really add a useful piece of visibility.
Then there was the Rivendell ride in Minnesota.  
A great bunch of people 
getting together for a weekend  cruising the country roads.  
Namely, the route of the Almonso 100, although we spent two days to cover it.
On the trip I got to sample exotic midwestern faire at a local diner.
The other significant product I found this year  was VP Components Thin Gripster pedals.
To me, they eliminate any consideration of cleats and clips, I just won't be needing them any longer.
The Super Moon was a nice treat for a nighttime ride.
The trip up north for the Ride Around Torch lake was not only beautiful,
it was a chance to make a new friend from the other side of the state, Detroit.
Speaking of new friends, riding the trails in Massachusetts which cover the beginning of the Revolutionary War and the birth of our nation was a treat.
As was, the night life of Boston, and great food and drink out on the town.
One would expect a trip to Boston to be educational and it was.
I got to see some of the innovative bike accommodations  being put in place there.

The replacement of "Share the Road" signs  with Sharrows
and appropriate signage to reinforce our legal rights and responsibilities
has made a dramatic improvement in that city.
Back home we found the interest in Classic and Vintage bikes being fueled by 
The Old Dog Tavern at their annual courtyard rally.
I had the honor to ride with a real champion.  Chris Bowman, a relative newbie, who made a cross state trip.  That, in and of itself, was not a huge deal.   But, he did it on a department store bike and he only has one leg.  The man has balls, that's all I can say.  It was an honor.

The Art Prize competition provided the most beautiful and interesting new  urban bike I have seen.
The trails and country roads of the Barry Roubaix race
made me appreciate my own back yard.

before the early frosts let me know the fun was going to change again for a few months.
On to next year's plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment