This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Comfortable butt club

I've been pouting about the injury handed me by Brooks saddles.  They sent their new "test" saddle, the Cambrium, to other people to test.  Here I have been using and loving their saddles faithfully for over 40 years and they don't even care.  They gave some to bloggers who haven't been alive as long as I have had leather stuck up my ass.
Well, I'm getting my revenge. 
 Actually that's all BS.   I have, for some time, wanted to try a Selle Anatomica saddle, but, like everything else, the price just keeps going up.  They are on sale for $99 right now, so I decided now or never.  Being a hefty kinda guy, I ordered the Titanica X and thought I would use it on the Hunq.   I have used my B67 on the Hunq but since people rave about the comfort of the SA saddles, I thought I would give it a try for the longer distances.  I expect to miss the springs but not the 2 extra pounds.  I'm not turning into a weight weenie, but hey, two pounds is not drilling grams out of a brake caliper.
   The saddle has a lovely soft brown finish and the copper rivets are a beautiful complement. The saddles do have a reputation for being comfortable right out of the box, but I've never had a problem with Brooks or VO leather either. The first couple rides have been comfortable.  The "break in" trauma remains a myth in my life.  I've been doing short (5-15) mile rides with the saddle, carrying a multi-tool to try and dial in the angle of the saddle.  I had to raise the seatpost a full inch to compensate for the shallower profile of the saddle.  I have been using a Kalloy seatpost with the B67 because I had to use a single bolt post with the seat sandwich.
The Selle Anatomica definitely "lightens" up the look,
 although saving two pounds on the Hunq is like spittin' in the wind.
The only problem I have had so far is keeping the saddle level.  I have taken advantage of the longer rails and set the seat back to compensate for my long torso, but I may need a double bolt post.  The longer set back creates a lot of leverage, and getting the damn thing tight enough to stay in position has been a challenge. 
     It will be summer before I have a truly valid opinion of the saddle.  I am hoping the cutout will prevent what little chafing and discomfort I experience over long trips.  I know it was developed and intended to prevent some of the vibration and problems associated with the prostrate, but I worry less about that.  A doctor explained to me that most of those problems are also associated with the compression that occurs in full racing posture.  Being bent that far forward with road vibrations pounding away for days is what caused a bladder infection for me once.  I have since relaxed my posture (raised my handlebars) and changed my habits.
  So far I am happy.  We'll have to see if I can dial in the position without changing the seatpost.  Then we'll find out how it performs on longer tours in the warmer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment