This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Biking is just too cool

     It seems a bit too cool for most people, so I am constantly explaining myself to everybody.  Did I ride?  Of course I did, I always do quit bothering me about it.  It's seven degrees here and going up.  It might get up to freezing this weekend.  I really do get tired of hearing people talk about it, when it gets this cold, I wear my ski gear, hardly feel a thing and am actually starting to overheat by the time I get where I'm going.  Honestly things get a bit ridiculous around here.  I just received an e-mail in which a group of bike club members were talking about the condition of the cross country ski trails.  These are the same people who won't bike because it's too cold.  They will ski, but it's too cold for biking?  I fail to see the difference, but then,  I use a bike for transportation also and that may be what creates a conflict for some people.  They only see the outdoors as a realm exclusive to recreation.  I can't see a reason to waste a beautiful day when I can pursue an adventure in the lake effect snow.


       The advocacy season is boiling to a head  here in Michigan.  The Vice President of the local club, a semi-retired lawyer, caught the city in the act of planning a street renovation without including bike lanes.  The intersection involved is a particularly busy one which has established bike lanes going north and south but nothing east and west.  It is used constantly by college students including my son and there are more than a dozen businesses there.  The city did not even let the idea of  non-motorized traffic cross their minds.  The protest from Doug convinced them to postpone the plans exept for one council member who said they should continue because the intersection is too dangerous for bicycles.  What?   It's too dangerous as it is, so we should leave it dangerous rather than redesign it?   Hmm.  Where have I heard logic like that.?
Oh, yeah.  That Toronto guy.  
Well I will be attending the council meeting on Monday and I will be allowed to speak for a few moments.  
I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment