This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Winterizing

Getting on with some real cycling issues rather than the dreams of bureaucrats to create a cycling utopia.  I did some winterizing.  It was a beautiful Sunday and I thought I would like to spend time out riding,but I was nursing my back after pinching a nerve earlier in the week.  How did I do it?  Driving my car of course.  Apparently I am completely out of shape for my occasional car use.  I had to drive for an hour or more and get in and out of the car several times, and honestly, I can't handle it.  I'm not used to sitting for any length of time and twisting and squatting into a car was enough to strain a muscle and pinch a nerve ending.   I should probably go on a training regimen, like sitting for hours and eating, you know, like normal people.  
Anyway it's that time of year that I have to prep a couple of bikes for winter.
The main thing is removing the crank and bottom bracket.  During winter, that is the area that gets exposed to a lot of harmful, corrosive solvents used on Michigan streets. After touching up any damaged paint and wiping things down with Turtle Wax.  I clean out the bottom bracket shell before and after each winter season and inspect for any corrosion and rub the inside of the shell with Phil Wood Grease, I also spray the inside of the down tube, seat tube and chain stays with a rust inhibitor just for good measure.  I use LPS-3 which is a wax based, industrial strength rust inhibitor.  Most bike shops don't carry it, but I find it at a local Ace Hardware Store.  
After cleaning and re-greasing the threads, the adjustable cup and cartridge should screw in  by hand.  If it doesn't, things should be cleaned again.  Unlike a lot of people, I put the adjustable cup in part way before I install the cartridge.  I have found it easier to keep the cartridge square in the shell while starting it.  After the cartridge is in place and tightened I tighten the adjustable cup,
Replace the freshly cleaned crank and I feel good about another sloppy season.  I go through this with both The Hunq and Byron each year since they are the ones I rely on during the winter.  Now I just wait around for ice to form, add the studded tires and enjoy the winter sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment