This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

New News

   
    You may have noticed I have been fooling around with the appearance of the blog a bit.  I keep getting comments from people who tell me how much they appreciate it and enjoy reading it.  Being in the forgotten land with no coast in sight, it's not burning up the world, but I seem to have a small, deeply disturbed, and terribly loyal following.  Thanks to all of you in Macedonia and the six teenage girls in Moscow for hanging out at the internet cafe( I think of you more than you want to know).  Anyway, I added some advertising to it.  I don't expect to go pro or nothin' but if I can report income from this, it turns other things into business expenses.  It makes livin' cheaper, at least until they scrap our tax code and make the politicians play straight.  I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.  The morons we have put in office lately are younger than me and are just discovering the value of hiding barrels of pork behind tax incentives rather than just writing checks in public.  I think it's safe that no big changes are going to occur soon.
    Speaking of entrepreneurship, we have a new bike shop in town.  Kzoo Swift is a one man show making a go of it by buying and renewing vintage bikes.  

 I think he said his name is Ryan, but he may have said Jim for all I remember.  He started doing it in his basement 6 years ago, has graduated from there to the backroom of an art gallery and now to his own brick and mortar.   Earlier in the fall and summer he said he was selling a bike a day, not bad.

He also operates the only pedicab in the area.  Now that his bike shop and repair business is paying for itself, he plans to expand the pedicab service in the coming year and hopes to play a large part in the planned bike share program.  With 25000 college students coming and going each year, I think he has a good chance as long as he keeps cash in the register.




No comments:

Post a Comment