This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

As the world turns...

It must have turned around one more time, because the college kids are beginning to filter back to their regular haunts.  I always like to stop at the "Third Coast Cafe,"  which is one of those places where college misanthropes work and hang out to spend their paychecks.  I don't usually go in, I'm afraid I'll walk out with purple streaks in my hair and jewelry sticking out of my face, but hell, I'm really, really mature, that's what it is.  It's always a place to see an old or unusual bike.
                                   
like this "Genesis" cruiser.  It's a weird looking thing with 32 inch wheels.  Why? 
After looking around the interweb I discovered they are the latest greatest thing from Wal-Mart.
Geesh, this kid could have a Schwinn Le Tour from the local co-op, but he probably wants people to think he's rich so he buys his sushi from 7-11 also.
A day later, I got my first, in the flesh, glimpse of a Surly Moonlander at the same bike rack.
It must be the latest place to park weird wheels.  I understand the interest in these things, the big tires are fascinating, but since I don't hunt any more I can't think of any real use for them.  They look like fun.
But, what are these red plastic bubbles in the rim?  If somebody says they reduce weight I promise to puke.
                       
I watched this video of the Moonlander in action and must admit, I wasn't impressed.  I didn't see it overcome anything my Hunq can't handle in 29'er mode.  It seems like it should just plow right through new fallen snow, but it didn't.
I didn't see this one at the cafe but thought I would show it to you.  It is all ready for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.  One of the employees has to want one!  It's out fitted with a chainsaw for ripping through dead bodies, and it folds so you can put it in your pocket when you run.

No comments:

Post a Comment