This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Custom Bob Jackson

I have this friend who is a little obsessed with cycling.  And you said, "Ok, like I don't know this guy already?"  He is a little on the aggressive side of being a total retro grouch.  We ride some Fridays together because we are the only ones around who aren't afraid of gravel roads.  I usually ride my Hunq while he rides custom Bob Jackson bikes.  Usually with a two speed SA kick back hub, he can ride circles around me, and he is recovering from hip replacement.  Now do you know him?  Not yet.  He likes to ride a SS Bob Jackson lugged steel frame on the club's weekly hammerfest rides (22+MPH).  He delights in telling the spandex hamsters on the CF crotch rockets that he rides single speed because derailler's are not proven technology.  Now you are starting to understand.  He knows how to ride and really appreciates a nice bike.
He recently had another bike made by Bob Jackson and it is stunning.
(I would tell you I was protecting his identity by not showing his face, but actually, I screwed up).

This is such a beautiful road bike!  Painted a British racing green with cream trim and highlights,
It looks remarkable with Fleur de lis lug work lined in gold.  Even a lugged stem!
The detail is carried all the way to the bottom bracket shell.  He fitted the bike out with new Sram Red CF crank and drive train.   Yes he is breaking his standards and using a geared bike with carbon fiber components, presumably so he can just humiliate people rather than kick their asses.  The frame cost somewhere around $2900 dollars, and you can guess the rest.
It's a dramatic beauty which deserves to hang on a wall somewhere so us mere mortals can stare at it.
But the real "piece de resistance" is his selection of throwaway Nashbar pedals.  Really?
He didn't feel he should spend a bunch of money on the pedals.
Uh, yeah. Honestly, that's what he said!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely bike, and a great character. Your words are exactly how I think I'd react to everything you saw. Thanks for bringing this.

    ReplyDelete