This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Bosco Bars revisited

The temperate weather here in the midwest has drawn everybody to outdoor sports.
Like chess.  This is a novel twist on the chess tables in the park.
I love watching young children playing chess.  They take it all so seriously, 
contemplating each move carefully, their faces get screwed into frowning contortions
for minutes at a time before they finally commit to a totally unheard of, 
and completely illegal move.
What fun!
But I was just out enjoying a mild ride through the wilds of a local trail. 
Once again the Bosco Bars attracted some derisive remarks from another cyclist.
I know that, along with the fenders, they make the bike look like a fancy beach cruiser at first glance.
People never believe that I intend to ride 60-80 miles, but they just don't consider
that just because you are able to sit upright
does not mean you are obligated.
They never seem to realize the counter intuitive nature of reaching
an aero or drop position on the flats which are 3 1/2 inches below the grips.
Or that, by bending the elbows in a little, 
I can reach full-blown fredly woohoo velocity!

5 comments:

  1. Marc,

    I decided to give the Bosco Bars a try earlier this year. Part of the reason for that was seeing them mounted on your Sam Hillborne. I have had a Hunqapillar for just over 2 years now, and have tried several handlbars on it, finally (I thought!) settling on the Nitto Noodles. While I like the Noodles, I have drop bars on other bikes, plus the long top tube of the Hunqapillar makes a swept back handlebar a good choice. I like them better than I thought I would. At first I very rarely rode with my hands on the nearest, most upright position, but lately have found myself using this position more, riding upright and more leisurely and liking it more than I thought I would.

    Some pictures here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCimVmc

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I hadn't thought of using the longer extensions rather than the stoker knobs. That brings a new range of positions. Man, that looks good, it's amazing how comfortable they are and how it changes your riding style. As I have told of few other people, comfort will get you farther down the road every time.
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marc, how do you like fast descents with those handlebars? I used to have them but i gave them up because I didn't feel stable enough in the low position, so I ended up descending on the upright position, which also wasn't too stable. I'm reconsidering them but i'm worried about that disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my Hillborne I have no issues with fast descents in the "aero" position. While on the Hunq, when it's loaded with bags on the front, I feel some instability. I have taken to keeping my hands on the front and leaning my elbows on the handgrips to prevent any shimmy.

      Delete