This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, July 22, 2013

A really Cool idea!

A friend of mine mentioned these to me, and I thought it sounded like a crock of shit.  The idea is called "cooling sleeves"  which is like hosiery for your arm.  They are made to keep your body temperature down, by cooling the skin on your arms.  Uh Huh.  It gets worse, they are supposed to be made of a new weave of special fabric (etc. I assume it's a material as yet undiscovered by man!).  Well, I was skeptical
but looked it up on the interweb thing the kids use.  It makes sense in some creepy scientific way.  I found some on Amazon for $9 and free shipping, I could risk that (if they had charged for shipping it may have been a different matter).  The pair I bought are made by Elixer, come in a one sized fits everybody on the planet size, and had reviews which ranged from "fraud," "crappy," to "nice product."  My skepticism grew.
They came three days after I ordered them,
 look good, have none of the flaws the other reviewers complained of
 and even fit reasonably well.
I've worn them two days now and am very impressed overall.  They fit my arms just below the bicep which is fine since I wear golf shirts with longer "short" sleeves.  Of course, the UV protection is quite obvious but I was surprised at the cooling effect.  These are made from one of those magic "tech" fabrics which wick moisture from the skin.  They are woven with what is called a 3D weave which I assume is a nano tech term for a mesh weave which allows more air to enter the fabric.  You can actually feel the effect when a breeze comes up or you are accelerating down hill.  Does this have a cooling effect on the body?  Well, logic would say yes.   Since it is cooling a large skin area, the capillaries should continually cool the blood flowing back to the heart and the entire body should benefit.  In theory, it's like the radiator on a car.  A more dedicated reviewer would have ridden with a thermometer stuck in somewhere to check, but I'm just not there yet.
There are several brands available.  I plan to wear them anytime I am out more than an hour.  With my complexion, the UV protection is enough motivation, the cooling effect is an extra special bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment