This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, June 21, 2013

How many times do I have to tell you?!!

I volunteered to help paint arrows on the roads for an upcoming bike tour.  It was a beautiful evening, one that would make anybody go outdoors.  The temps were in the mid seventies, there was no humidity, mild winds and clear blue skies.  I grabbed a shopping bag to carry the paints, threw it on the rack and pedaled off to the starting point on Sam.


What a wonderful evening to enjoy a roll through the countryside for a couple of hours.
When I arrived at the starting point there were four cars with other club members who all looked at me aghast with amazement.
"What are you going to do with your bike?"
"You're going to have to carry paint!"
"How will you....?"
"What will you do if...?"
"Where can you...?"

"I'm used to carrying camping equipment for days, how hard can this be?"

They didn't get it.  These are dedicated cyclists, who ride religiously, with mileage goals and all that serious stuff. It never occurred to any of them they could do this on a bike.
Long story short, I took two of the routes, rode around for a few hours with a half dozen cans of paint painting the marks at each turn.  As I got to the end, I was met by one of the pairs of people in their car who were just finishing as I did.
"What happened?"
"How much were you able...?"
"You couldn't have...."
WTF!  There is no hope!

But since I've no other visuals, I will provide hope for those who would like to imagine
 that riding a bike does not hurt their social life.

by giving you another gratuitous photo of a chick on a bike..

No comments:

Post a Comment