This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, June 24, 2013

A little too much time on my hands.

The last couple of days have been significant because the moon got really close.  That struck me as important because it was really hot, or at least by Michigan standards, and I could use an excuse to take a night time ride.   The moon, in case you didn't see the news, was at it's perigee, the closest it gets during it's orbit.  So I went on a quest to get a good photo.   I went out on the morning of the 23rd, got up at 4:30 am and rode out to try and catch a shot just before it's closest point at 7:35.  I hit the streets about 5, saw a beautiful silvery thing up there, so bright it literally eliminated the stars.  I was geeked, I knew a boat launch at a local lake where I could get a dramatic shot as it set on the trees on the opposite side.  I got there just in time to see the moon disappear behind the clouds gathered on the distant horizon.  That's what I get for being greedy.  I waited again until evening, the moon would be past it's closest orbit but would still be huge and 99.8% illuminated(according to some internet source).  Well I rode around on the outskirts of town just after moonrise and saw the same phenomenon.  Clouds all along the horizon, I wanted the moon near the horizon because it's supposed to look bigger, nobody knows why, but somebody said it and I think they're right.  I got discouraged and stopped at the store for something to drink.   When I looked over at my rear view  I saw it beginning to peek through the clouds.  I turned and headed back to a boulevard which had a high point over looking a large park.

I managed to get this snapshot. not bad for a simple Canon Powershot 260.  That's not retouched, that is just the color the moon had through all the humidity.
Of course that led to the inevitable "pun" shot.
Hunqapillar in da supermoon light!

No comments:

Post a Comment