This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hope springing eventually

Living where I do, a hundred or so miles from the 45th parallel, I can depend on one thing from the weather in Michigan. The seasons fall pretty exactly in coordination with the solar calendar.

We rely upon the change for recreation and budgets as well as selecting our clothing.  This past winter was special.  It snowed on the first day of winter, we received our requisite 8 feet of snowfall and the ski season was consistent.  It snowed again on the last day of winter. The time has come for the birds to return, buds to come out on the trees, I can shed the underlayer beneath my slacks and feel the crisp springtime tickling up the legs of my pants as they flap in the breeze.  New concerns of sunscreen and wind jackets replace the base layers and studded tires.  I took the drive train off the the Hunq to clean the combination of sand, dirt, oil, salt and whatever else it had picked up.  We are ready.
The slop, ice and corrosive dangerous chemicals will all be replaced by flowers now.
Uh, Huh! I've had enough already.  Same shit different season.  Nothin' but hope.

3 comments:

  1. Here, just north of Chicago this past weekend, while still coldish, the weather gave me such hope! Then, Sunday night I read that wind chills this week will be near or even below 0ยบ? Everyday this week, I've had to wear my balaclava. Before this week, I think I've only had 4 or 5 days this whole winter. Kind of nuts. It's sure going to make it all so much sweeter once the weather truly DOES warm up. I think I'll leave the studs on until our last frost date (April15-ish).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaving the studs on one bike for a while, but am cautiously optimistic and getting the others ready for dry pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday night, I'm looking forward to having a beer (or two) while I put the summer tires on my LHT. She's my sweetheart;-)

    ReplyDelete