This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, February 8, 2013

A stud off the ole knobby

     My son left this post on his Facebook page:

"I ride my bike to work/class normally. This ride takes about 25 minutes, 35 if it's bad weather.

 I drove today because the roads were absolutely dreadful, and it took me 45 minutes including

 the distance I had to walk from my parking spot to my job. YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE!"
  
I couldn't help but swell up a little with teary eyed pride.  I really didn't know that either he was listening all these years, or I had totally brainwashed him.  
    Either way it is good.  Another emissary from the world of two wheels has matured and been unleashed upon the unsuspecting cagers of middle America.   The amazing thing is that despite riding his bike all this time he has no trouble finding a date.  I've been surprised, but the younger generation seems to be green to the core.  They have been raised in the culture of excess consumption and are, perhaps, seeing their options differently than our generation does.
   I feel like the "little league" dad who just saw a home run or the winning touchdown.

2 comments:

  1. You've certainly done something right. My oldest (at 19) will only ride if he's banned from using our car (and wouldn't think of riding in the Midwest winter). Driving daughter (16) won't look at a bike if the car is available. Still, I'm somewhat optimistic, and think that in time, they'll all understand and relate to my position (bike all errands and commutes I can, year round) and perhaps agree to the lifestyle, and be advocates. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the peer pressure is a bit much for them at that age. Most adults see utilitarian biking as demeaning, certainly teenagers do. My son had nothing to do with his bike in High School, until he wanted to see a movie with me. I met him outside with our bikes, we rode the 10 miles to the theater, had lunch after, rode home and it has all made sense to him ever since.

      Marc

      Delete