This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

It's that time.  Winter is crawling towards us here in Michigan.
One cold snap, and....


We look at the weather map and see the dropping temperatures inching down from the wilds of Canada every day.  After the weekend ride in the foliage of fall, the conversation turned to the inevitable doom of recreation. Everybody was pleased, this group had hit their annual mileage goals. 
 They were self satisfied and prepared for the idea that every day could be the last.

 We started discussing the options, most talked of having their trainers set up in the basement, moving their powermeters and heart rate monitors and maybe a TV to keep them busy.  I mentioned being ready to mount studded tires to two of my bikes and every donut and cup of cider was frozen in mid air.  Five deer in the headlights stared back at me as if I was speaking a rare dialect of ancient Anglo Saxon.  There were no comments for a minute, somebody said,  "Really?" 
 I explained that I keep riding in the winter, mainly for utilitarian and commuting purposes. 
 Everybody stared, somebody said, "You do?"
It's no wonder I get used to riding alone.  I don't seem to ride like anybody I know.  They have goals.  Heart rates, calorie counts and (most importantly)MPH all have a place in the accumulation of acceptable mileage.
I just enjoy the ride.  It's more entertaining than driving a car, more stimulating than sitting on a trainer and vastly more practical than cross country skiing (but that's fun also).  I look at winter as an opportunity to play in the snow like a child and ride my bike without sweating for a change.  Less becomes more from a fitness standpoint, I can get a much better workout and burn up more calories in less time with the body engine working full blast to produce needed heat.  Crusty ice covered by a few inches of fresh snow transform an MUP into a challenging single track to attack.
I'm getting ready, but we have a few days of respite, temps in the '70's for the next few days will keep us all out on two wheels together for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment