This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Better day leading to craziness

    The family pictured were a nice group who comes out to that particular campground every year for two weeks.  I guess that's what is called a stay-cation these days.  They seemed a little curious about me, but were relieved to know I was just taking a ride across the state, for once it was nice that nobody asked any really stupid questions.  They were nice company for a while, the teens were a little interested in the gear, and how it fit together when I left in the morning. 
On Friday, the weather was excellent.  I slept too late and it really didn't matter.  The temps promised to be stable all day, the wind had shifted to it's normal westerly position to help me along and I looked forward to a pleasant day.  It was there that I discovered I had left the coffee in the car!!!  Oh well, I just toughed it out until I could get to the nearest store and get a cup, I knew the group would have some for the weekend and I would just have to buy some en route.  
The 60 some mile ride that day was relaxing compared to the hilly, rainy stress of the day before. 
 I was meandering into a river valley 

so the climbs I faced were minimal and spread out.  I was riding through marsh lands and forests under skies that would inspire Magritte. 


There was minimal traffic on the roads and people met at local stores and gas stations were really pleasant, and talkative.  Most were surprised I was just taking a few days off to ride, they were expecting a grand adventure/commitment to come out of my mouth.  On the way I ran across The Jerky Outlet, a Marathon gas station which has a huge selection of privately packaged jerky of all variety.  I bought a $20 package to share over the weekend, even gambled on a Cajun Spiced variety of beef.   I got two surprises: not only was it not over seasoned and too spicy, I suffered no gas--all weekend.  I highly recommend these places if you find one.   The meat was well packaged, tender, moist and tasty, an unexpected treat.
The road continued on through the afternoon and I got a look at the Rifle River
we would be tubing on Saturday.  The water level was still low despite the rainfall of the previous day.
It promised to be a relaxing and slow day on the river.  I arrived early in the evening and was greeted by a supervisor at the campground.  The Riverview Campground is a privately owned place which is very successful, and very busy.  On Friday, there is a parking queue full of trailers, trucks, college kids and revelers waiting for admittance.  I rode up on the Hunq, and the supervisor looked at me quizzically and said; 
"What can we do for you?"  
I explained I had a reservation and was going to the office to check in.  He kind of furrowed his brow and said, " but you have to park and get a vehicle pass when you register."
I looked down at him, smiled and said:
"Really?  Do you want me to park in the middle of all that?" 
and pointed to the line of trailers, RV's and trucks in the lot.
He agreed that might not be a good idea, and that since bikes are not normally given a vehicle pass, I could just park by the office.  It must have been difficult for him for a minute.
It was a little tough on the girl inside also, she had to step outside her routine and not issue a vehicle pass to me.   It was a bit confusing I could see,  she worked her way through it, but only after asking several times where my car was.  After I explained it a couple of times, she was Ok.
A twenty something standing next to me said:
"Goin' green huh?  That's cool!"
I said, "Green, schmeen, I just like to ride bikes."
That left them all laughing.
The campground  is a massive party.  Alcohol is not only allowed but sold and copious consumption is encouraged.  Four open wi-fi channels kept us in touch with the virtual world and the more adventurous brought sound systems and games (like strip Twister) to help them through the Bachnalian ritual.
My friends straggled in throughout the evening, they know better so weren't surprised that I rode my bike, and we all got a good start on a buzz for the next day.
Saturday was a bit of a blur
but you know what it's like when grown ups misbehave.
I somehow remembered not to have any jello shots for an hour before I slept.
I woke with less of a hangover as a result.







No comments:

Post a Comment