This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, June 18, 2012

A lazy day

   I was lacking ambition and any reasonable amount of energy.  I needed to pick up some new tires on the other side of town and took a late morning ride, with a scenic side route along the river to make it worthwhile.  The weather has been absolutely wonderful for anything outdoors and even though I was exceedingly lazy, I forced myself to enjoy it.  
   After a little 10 mile ride I stopped by a weekend street festival for lunch.   Loads of people had gathered for the annual "Island Fest" where one can enjoy some Reggae Music and Carribean cuisine.
Evidence of  the cycling culture was around, I actually had to circle and wait for a parking space at one of the bike racks.  Fortunately I found a couple taking off just as I was about to give up.
  I got a place to park and noticed this evidence of the effect of racing.  


His and her Bianchi's.  From the style of bikes I imagine a good nature d Freddly kind of guy bought his wife a more practical Milano to convince her to come along.  It's evidence that Grant Peterson may just be overreacting and that racing and club riding is actually making some practical contributions to the culture.
It was a positive moment to take in with me while I shopped the booths, listened to some excellent music and enjoyed some authentic curry goat on with rice from Carribean Dave's.  It took a full beer and a bottle of water to contain the curry, but it was delicious and no bad things happened after enjoying it.
  After about an hour and half of hanging about the booths and finishing a beer, I went to pick up the tires waiting at a local shop.   When I went out to my bike, I was fumbling about trying to find my key when I realized I had used a whole new method for securing it.
People must be basically good, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment