This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

A different twist

I was presented with a new twist on the same theme yesterday.  I live in a condo where we have a group of separate garages, little "car condos" if you will.  I have it mainly to keep my bikes to work on and to store the car in really bad weather during the winter.  I was puttering around working on my son's bike when a neighbor was walking past and asked me how the "bike shop" was doing.  I didn't get it at first, and responded that they were all doing really well with the good weather,  I was looking forward to getting this project finished so I could clear out some of the old stuff I didn't need.  He looked a little surprised and asked if I wasn't selling the bikes I worked on.  I guess that's a reasonable question to somebody who sees this:

when they walked by.  "Oh, God NO!" I said,  "these are all ours."
"You really use all these?" he said.
I explained that there were three, my Trek roadie, Byron the townie and the Hunq for touring/off road riding that I use on a regular basis.  I pointed out my son's campus bike and the mixte was being built as a faster version for him.  
He said he was really impressed, he had assumed I was building them for sale since I had so many. 
There we go again, like the friends who laughed uproariously when I mentioned having 5 bikes,
he had no concept of actually using a bike, it had to be a recreation, or a business.
His world was rocked a little, but he did ask advice to get his own Bianchi hybrid serviced in the area.  
I was quick to steer him to a local LBS before he asked me to work on it.
I'm going to be off for a couple of days to travel to the Riv Rally East, in Cumberland, Md where a group of us with a similar brand of insanity will spend the weekend riding the Gap and CO trails through mountains.
I plan to have some posts and photos when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment