This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Resetting up shop

   Making room for a workplace to service bikes, and still have the luxury to live nearby, or park your car in the same room can become an issue.  Since moving into my current "digs" I've been in a continuing quandry over a repair stand.   My garage is just long enough to allow me to park my car and still have room to work on real stuff, but not room for a repair stand.  At least not a floor mounted one.  
So I have struggled along with these hooks, 

which are really for storage. 
 Being close to the wall they allow access to one side of the bike, but if there is any slope to the top tube, the bike will be all a kilter and off balance, the pedals and wheels bump into every thing hanging on the wall, turning the bike around to look at the other side is a problem, etc. etc.
    I wandered through Sheldon Brown's website for some other information and I saw his section about workstands.  There are some unusual answers to the problem, pulleys, ropes, hooks and stands, but they jarred loose the idea I needed.  He had used the joists in his basement for a couple of utility hooks.  The light bulb lit up and I ran out to Lowes, bought a couple of the biggest hooks I could find and some c-clamps.   
An old 2x4 lying around the garage provided a mount,

 I screwed the  hooks  into the board 24 inches apart and mounted the board to the joist with c-clamps. 

Magically, the drivetrain is now at eye level just far enough from the car and wall that I can walk around. 

 I've been using a drop leaf  table on wheels as a work bench, and that makes for a fine arrangement, especially after mounting a Minoura tool tray to the side.
    Everything in the garage is now happy and mobile.  I will probably be very pleased...
 until I inevitably drop something and scratch the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment