This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, March 30, 2012

A possible obssesion

  Most of the time I would like to patronize an LBS for stuff, but most of the time they have to order what I want.  Their other customers buy racing bikes to pretend they are what they thought they were in high school, or fully suspended mountain bikes to commute  to work, or they are evolved and realistic; those buy cruisers to ride around the cul-de-sac every April 9th and  hang on the back of their 5th wheel campers all summer to let everybody know they exercised this year.  Point being, the LBS rarely has what I want.  I've been patient on the purchase of reflective tape.  I looked at every hardware, LBS and big box store in 5 counties over the past few years and found not one who carries 3m silver reflective tape.  It would seem to be a simple no-brainer product for a bike store.  Reflectorize your bike anyway you like for a few grams and a  couple of bucks.  I had to order it from Rivendell.
It won't work any less good because I ordered it on the internet, it comes in a 27" roll for $7.  I've been told that this becomes a ridiculous obssesion and went about it with caution.
I cut a few 1/2 inch pieces and used them to provide spots of light on the crank 

and v-shaped rims of my city bike.
I figured it is a lightweight way to add some moving light to the evening of a dangerously complacent cager when the sun goes down.  After all motorists are like lab animals and babies, they respond to bright flashing things.
The wheel spots showed up really well
And when hit with a light on a totally dark street
well obviously it is one thing that should be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment