This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cycling Jeans

   Most of us like to wear jeans, but for all day or even more than trips to the ice cream shop, they really don't work for cyclists.  Most are cut wrong, too tight, too loose, too heavy and, worst of all all the seams are piled upon each other into one big abrasive wad right where the pelvic bone can grind the skin up against it--all fucking day long!  Somebody screwed up and forgot to put a brass rivet there, that would make the torture complete.  There is a way to wear jeans and be comfortable on a bike.  Levi's has released a bike commuter style which has a place to hang a U-lock and reflectorized something on the cuffs---they do nothing for the aforementioned torture and are not what I'm talking about.
   Diamond Gusset is a company which has been around a while making jeans with a seamless crotch and selling them to ranchers and motorcyclists who spend all day in the saddle.  
   I finally wore down the Wranglers I wear and ordered a pair of the jeans and a pair of denim shorts.
The denim fabric is very comparable to the Wranglers I usually wear, there is a little change pocket on the right hand side.   Like Levi's brand they are riveted at the pocket joints with a big ole' brass button to hold the waist band together.  While they don't have reflective anything, you could order the carpenter's model if you want a place to hang your lock.
The main event (drumroll) is in the valuables area.
You can see where the Wranglers above have worn from brief and infrequent rides.
The shorts below have that strategically placed gusset making the vital area of contact seamless.
Since my career as an underwear model has been cut short by circumstances totally (I mean totally, you know)  beyond my control,  I will spare you the agony of  my modeling them.   
They fit like jeans.  Since I bought mine in a size for my target weight, well it ain't pretty, but the fabric has 1%  spandex and gives enough that they will be comfortable for casual rides around town when you might want people to think you are normal.
They are made in the USA, a good thing if that's important to you, but a bit pricey as a result.  
At $60 for the jeans and $50 for the shorts, they aren't unreasonable but not to be found at Target or Walmart either.
I like 'em, look into a pair when you current pair wears out.

No comments:

Post a Comment