This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow test on the Hunq

While I was puttering around with the new shifters on the Hunq, we had been accumulating a bunch of snow outside.  It promised to make the roads dangerous or impassible until the plows got a chance to catch up and provided perfect conditions to test drive the Hunq in the snow.
This side street supplied several inches of semi-plowed and rutted surface to play with 
and I was pleased to find the Hunq floating over the loose and rutted portions with little or no problem.
Positioned on the top of the bars as I would be single tracking dirt,
the "busy ness" of all the new gear was a pleasure.  
Everything was within the immediate reach of my hands rather than reaching down after the bar end shifters
or riding on the hoods to use the brakes.
I know cyclocrossers like to use brifters and ride out on the hoods a lot, 
but this configuration adds the power and security of a straight MTB bar
to the versatility and comfort of  the drops.
Emboldened by my survival on the nasty city streets in near blizzard conditions,
I headed to a park where there had been no plowing at all.
I had about a foot or more of loose snow over the foot path trampled by dogwalkers,
a suitably unstable and dangerous place to play in failing afternoon light.
The 2 1/4" tires gripped right into the snow, in many places I sank as much as 6"
never lost my "footing," just geared down and cranked around like I knew what I was doing.
It might be overkill, but I can imagine using fully studded Nokian Extremes next season and 
being able to tackle any kind of winter storm.
It seems that would be a lot more practical than a Pugsley or Mukluk 
which are not really useful for any other type of riding.
It was cold and blizzardy so my test had to end
with a beer and pasta at Old Chicago.
I had more to do at home, it was time to install a brake light on Byron...did I say brake light? 

No comments:

Post a Comment