This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Higher visibility

   Along with the shorter days comes the concern for greater visibility.  My son was asking for a couple of tips since he would be coming and going from college classes both before and after daylight.  One product that falls under the "whythehelldidn'tIdoitsooner"category is this little Yield sign by Jogolite.
It's orange and yellow, highly visible day and night and attaches to the body, bag or bike rack by an adjustable nylon belt.  I first saw these years ago on Rivendell"s website and just procrastinated.  I looked at all the LBS in the area and nobody knew about them so, I bit the bullet,paid the shipping and got a couple.
They are great, I like them much better than the vests I have seen or worn.  Not only are they smaller, more discreet and consequently better looking.  They provide more focus for the viewer.
By  wearing it just below the waist, the sign rests right on the butt.  Making a very visible warning for approaching traffic whether sitting upright or bent over in the drops.
                                               

One thing I don't like about vests is that they don't provide much visibility unless you are sitting upright.
This sign solves that problem, weighs practically nothing and folds up quite nicely to fit in any pocket.
It's just as effective in the day as the night, so there is just no reason to ride without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment