This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Sidewalk cycling,our tax dollars creating assumptions

As a rule I NEVER ride on sidewalks, 
as an exception I have to admit there are a couple of places in town where I will,
and, well, there's downtown Chicago, but that's only 'cause it's against the law.
(civil disobedience is still cool!)
Recently the highway department completed a project to open a bottleneck on one of our busiest streets.
It prompted one of my friends to mention they had thought to include accommodations for bicycles and pedestrians.  I didn't remember seeing anything like that, so I took a ride down there to examine the new cycling facilities.
This massive underpass used to house just 4 lanes of traffic and an appropriately named suicide lane.  
There was a complex of dangerous  ramps for I-94 and only traffic signals one block on either side of the underpass.    They solved a lot of problems with this project, they expanded the through traffic lanes to three each direction, plus two turn lanes with controlling signals to exit to the interstate.  The entrance ramps are all signal controlled now and the whole situation moves a huge amount of traffic very safely.
There are no bike  lanes, but there is this 
winding set of sidewalk sections creating crosswalks at 4 intersections within 100 yards.  I don't see anything a cyclist would consider "accommodating" about the sidewalk situation.  I assume it was that to which my
non-cycling friend referred.
I like the extra room and traffic controls
Of course they are welcome to make this third lane on the right into a bike lane.  
That's how I'm going to use it.



No comments:

Post a Comment