This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Re Review Bags

     The most sought after and visited posts I have put on this blog over the past year have been about the bags I use.  During the past year I have started using both Frost River and Rivendell bags for different purposes.  Now I know that Frost River and Rivendell had a serious tift with one another and I really don't care. Those things happen between business owners all the time and should not be a matter of discussion between customers.  The product is all that interests me.
      The Riv products I have bought and used this past year are the shopping bags, and the tool roll up.
     I have the medium and HUGE shopping bags in olive canvas and grid grey respectively and have found no reason to complain about them at all. They fit on my porteur rack and pletscher racks well and seem completely indestructible.  The nice reflective stripe is a plus, both colors are very nice and I have carried as much as $150 worth of groceries home with these.
Occasionally you might want to wash them out with a good all purpose cleaner and a sponge, but other than that they need nothing from you and do a lot for you in return.
   The tool roll up is exactly the same.  It is as durable as anything you will buy, the big reflective stripe is a plus and there is nothing like being able to find any tool as soon as you open it.
    The Frost River saddle bag I have been using is also just as satisfying.  It is roomy enough to hold 3-4 days of clothing, and the side pockets keep personal hygiene items easily available, organized and ready for use.
The brown color looks great with Brooks or VO brown saddles 
and it can be used without the bike as a great overnight bag.
I simply tie a strap through the top holes to use as a handle and an throw it in the car when I need a bag.  There are also brass loops on each end for a shoulder strap if you want to add that.
On longer trips I have used one of the Riv shopping bags for extra clothes and have eliminated other luggage. The combination holds a ton of clothing and will stand up against any baggage handler on the planet.
        The other great bag I started using was the Frost River Medium Manitou.  Named after a beautiful island in Lake Michigan, the bag is just as beautiful and it stays that way.  This bag looks great,
it has room all over it, more than I can use.  It holds files, paper, presentations cell phone, tablet computer, nasal spray, glasses, writing instruments (how quaint, "writing instruments") and other urban survival gear--lunch.
The shoulder strap is long enough to wear it messenger style across the shoulder, it fits perfectly on my porteur rack, but the best thing about the Manitou is that all the spilled coffee from Byron's cup holder and my clumsiness just wipes off and has never left a mark. 
Finally, that is a great thing about waxed cotton in general.  It's tough and continues to look good despite the abuse it can receive on the road.  Both Riv and Frost River make bags that are heirloom quality.  Invest in them and hope one of the grand kids likes old stuff 'cause they're gonna get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment