This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Detailing the Trek

      Today I put the third coat of spray on the headtube, lug windows and the neat little cast trademarks on the
Trek.   I chose a gold color to contrast with the silver powdercoat, it will go really well with the leather saddle and handlebar tape I use also.
 After stripping the masking off the frame, I wanted to enhance the lugwork by outlining the outside of the the lugwork.  I had chosen Testor's paint for the detailing for two reasons, one that it is formulated to adhere well to plastic (powdercoat) and I could get it in spray, bottle and in a paint pen.
which makes lug lining a real breeze.
Lining the lugs is really not as difficult or time consuming as it might look, the pen makes it easy to get an accurate line on the outside of the lug, and when I did make a mistake I could easily wipe it off the powdercoat and simply reapply.
    The end result was pretty effective,
while not being too garish.
now I will be all ready to reassemble and ride it tomorrow morning!

4 comments:

  1. Wondering how the lug detailing has held up? I'm restoring a 1985 Trek 620 and have powdercoated it metallic orange. Looking to outline the lugs and the TREK details in a metallic silver. Using a paint pen as you did is quite appealing because of the ease of application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has held up quite well. Of course the crease between the lug and tube doesn;t come in contact with anything very often, but there has been no peeling or flaking. I chose Testor's paint pens especially because it is formulated for use on plastics. If it's given a few days to cure, I'm sure it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very helpful. I'm powdercoating a lugged frame, and need to apply paint over a the head tube and seat tube, then line the lugs, as you did. That for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's held up really well with simple Testors paint.

      Delete