This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The hidden solution

A while back Sommervillian made a suggestion to anchor the Porteur rack to Byron.  While the anchor for that rack presented no structural problems the suggestion works great for this fender issue. He suggested making a hidden bracket extending under the brake to support the rack, in this case the fender is the issue and requires less of a brace.
My first thought was to use the duarma bolt under the fender but it just wasn't long enough to attach a brace.  I had an old bracket lying around and used a bench vice to make it behave.
.After working with it, I knew I was on the right track but needed a different attachment point.
I ended up wrestling it back the other way to attach it to the brake bolt itself.
Now there's something to work with.
After drilling a couple of holes in fender itself (the little dimples were really convenient at this point),
The untrained eye will not even notice it except for the one screw head.
It's not a perfect fit or adjustment yet but I'll be able to work with this and get a decent looking fender line and the vertical clearance I need to clothe those poor naked tires.
The only thing left is that screw head.  I don't need a light on this bike.  Maybe a "hood ornament" of some kind.  I'm not really that crazy...am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment