This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Trail Fundraiser


-
Yesterday was a beautiful day for a fundraiser and one was scheduled.  Each year a fundraising ride is held for the local Kal-Haven trail I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.  It's a nice event which brings together all sorts of users and supporters of the trail.  A lot of families use it as an excuse to get together for an afternoon. I've always thought it odd that during the ride the majority of supporters don't use the trail.  They offer 4 alternate routes of different distances on the street.  The main reason is that the surface is packed limestone and doesn't accommodate skinny tires.  While the Hunqapillar is fine for the ride,


most people on a ride like this want to show off their prowess and gear, so they pay the entry fee, get together and race in groups all around the trial. I guess it makes sense on some level.
I spent the morning riding with a father and daughter who say they do it every year.  He busses over from South Haven, joins her, they ride to South Haven and he gives her a ride back.  A good day spent together. She was a bit of fresh air explaining that she rides with several girl friends all the time and avoids the local club rides because they are too competitive. I agree, 15-16mph is good for me and I wonder how many members the club is loosing from their emphasis on racing.
I was only riding half the distance since I had an appointment that afternoon, but that was the lunch point and a convenient, amicable place to chat.  While we were there, the father asked me(I'm not kidding) how I intended to get back home. 
 I really didn't know what to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment