This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, April 1, 2011

My broken Shimano Nexus hub day 2

Since yesterday only yielded the knowledge that "something is wrong!!!"  I decided to continue the disassembly and moved over to take the drive side apart.

Ignoring the obvious winter style corrosion on the cog, I removed the shifter cassette,
and got really frightened when I found I could remove both axle nuts with my bare hands.  That should never happen!  After a couple of deep breaths into a paper sack, I removed the cog.

and finally the drive side seal.  I found that I was wrong, the bearings were not mounted into the seal itself, but the ball retainer ring was embedded in the grease there.

Both the ball retainer and the ring gear stop ring were broken.  In technical terms this means that springy cliplike wiry thing broke and ball bearings were wandering unsupervised in the black box.  But why?  I'm afraid I will have to totally disassemble the unit now to find out what the mystery is, and make sure the damn thing works again.


The whole thing is going into a degreaser bath for a couple of days while I plot my next move (enjoy the sunshine and ride my other bikes).

No comments:

Post a Comment