This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Strange warm weather and Chrome shoes

   Strange warm weather has driven away all the snow, the streets are clear and mainly dry, but there have been no cyclists on the street.  When we get weather like this in the fall, I will see riders out in droves taking advantage of the warm days.  Now, in February, with 50 degree temps there is practically nobody about.  Usually I can count 15-20 riders pedaling by in half an hour from my balcony.  Now hardly a one.  I guess people take the seasons too seriously.  I expected a few spandex hamsters to be out, "training"  for the coming season.  Oh well, it happened at the right time, I have the new Hunqapillar to tune up and was getting damn sick of riding on studded tires.  I can't believe what a pleasure the Hunq is to ride.

The slope one the top tube does help the comfort level a lot, the handlebars seem naturally higher and closer, which will mean a lot on all day tours.  I'll adjust the handle bars and saddle again today and spend an hour or two out on the clear streets again today, just because I can.
   One other thing I wanted to share was my opinion of Chrome shoes.  I mentioned them on an earlier post and have been using them daily throughout the winter months.  I had seen a couple review which complained that they don't last as well as expected.  I don't see any problem with that and I have been wearing them everytime I ride in the worst of conditions.

You can see the obvious salt spray and gunk all over them, but there has been no structural wear or damage at all.  I am quite impressed with them, many people complained that the rubber trim came loose quite soon

but I see no sign of that at all.  The shank in the sole is quite firm and good for pedaling but not so firm that it's difficult or awkward to walk in them.  The only complaint I could have would be that the sole does not react well to water.  Once it's wet it gets a little slippery and squeeks like crazy on a vinyl floor.  There is no hope to go unnoticed if you walk into a store during your travels.   Overall, I can dance to it, I'll give 'em an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment