This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, January 17, 2011

More winter scenes and "things are on sale."

    I was out running some errands again today in a rather balmy 25 degree day, and appreciating the studded tires I have been using.  They were especially good dealing with the irony of Nevada St.



As well as the expert way that the street department maintains our roads and bike lanes.


 But it was still a great day and  in my travels found that the big box stores are marking down their winter gear now.  I like the idea of patronizing local businesses and do, but being the advisor to a number of small businesses, I realize there are areas they should stay away from.  Honestly, to survive today the local business, especially retailers, need to provide service in a niche not being handled by big box retailers.
Right now I found my favorite base layer marked down 40% and, since they are a lot more practical, than any of the "bike brand" I find at the LBS I had to jump on them.   These are Gander Mountain's house brand made of a Polartec fabric.  It's not the fleece that Polartec is famous for, but another blend that is a type of rib knit on the inside.


These are really warm and practical as base layer on a daily basis.  I have been sceptical of anything but wool until I wore these last year.  As we all know, synthetic materials tend to get pretty stinky after a while, but I wore these all last winter and have not had a problem.  So, I bought more since they are marked down for clearance.  Both bottoms and tops are available and really do the trick for skiing, cycling or wearing under regular street clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment