This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Sunday Brunch

Couldn't  resist!  We were having our first real lake effect snow of the year and it was coming down rather heavily.   In the morning, I watched the snow falling on the patio with one eye and the Sunday talk shows with another; they were comparing wars and politicians (the way they inevitably do) and drawing corollaries between that guy and this.  Gee, I could have sworn something had changed in the past 40 years.  Somehow, wandering aimlessly through a snowstorm on a bicycle made more sense, so I did that.
    I'm not much for buying bike specific clothing but recently decided to try a pair of Chrome shoes.  My son has one of their messenger bags and the whole "guaranteed period, built to last forever" sales pitch attracted me.

I've got to admit, I like them, they fit well right out of the box, are made of a really sturdy canvas type material and the bike specific features are all in the sole.  The arch support is pretty rigid, not like a regular bike shoe, but obviously more for riding than walking and the insole feels softer and more substantial right on the ball of the foot where we need the extra comfort.  The material is dense enough to provide a little better wind protection than your normal slipon and keeps your toes a little warmer on the cold days.
     I wandered through town for about 15 miles wondering how many other cyclists would be out and attracted to riding in this weather,
I was pretty much alone on the streets except for a couple people who were going to work, like this girl, who was well dressed for the weather:
but I found a few kindred looneys like me at a local cafe for lunch,
so it wasn't just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment