This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Changing the pace

It is nice that winter finally got here and we have a chance to ride around on the frozen roads and trails. Our parks department does a pretty good job of keeping the trails nicely cleared but there is always ice and all the footprints in the sludge get frozen into place. It just reminds me of the need for studded tires and how usefull they are.
It makes the commute a different form of challenge, like attacking a really treacherous MTB single track. It won't take long for the novelty to wear off, but winter will be over by then. In the meantime, it's just fun to do a little different riding. I stopped for a beer on the way home and the bartender (a former student) asked if I had ridden my bike there. She, of all people, should have known better, but a guy next to me asked how I could stand the cold. I said: "I worked up a bit of a sweat getting here, did you?" "No" he said. I replied, "I guess I was warmer." He just stared.

2 comments: