This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

more Trailblazing

      Speaking more about trails, the annual fundraiser for the local Kal-Haven trail was this past weekend and I actually had nothing else on my schedule.  I was happy, the weather forecast was promising beautiful temps and the possibility of a passing shower.  I packed up and planned to make my first loaded trip of the season to the Eagle's Rest Campsite for an overnight outside South Haven.  On Saturday, I checked the weather report, found it to be the same, loaded my stuff in the car and headed out.  About halfway to the trail head, the cloudy skies reminded me that I had forgotten my rain cape, so I headed back.  Upon arrival at my garage, I decided I should bring my bike also, since I had forgotten to load it on the car.  Now comfortably equipped, I headed off.  I saw a few of my friends from the bike club there, ready to support the trail by plunking down their money and spending a day in camaraderie and riding the surrounding roads.  Most of the supporters for this event, don't actually ride the trail, the majority bring their road bikes and dash about a selection of road courses on tires waay too skinny for the limestone trail.  After some friendly chit chat and equipment comparison at the start, I took off.
      I wasn't long before the "passing" shower caught up with us and I was donning my rain cape.
very few actually made it out on the trail, but a few brave families were prepared for the weather, and seemed to enjoy themselves along the way.
Many probably waited for the rain to go away.  It didn't, the rain kept passing and passing and passing.
I did see a few riders on the road and mingled with some champions at the lunch stop, but traffic on the trail was slow and lonely at best.  It reminded me of the reason I got hooked on this mode of transport, the meditative effect of the road under the wheels and quiet contemplation of the natural environment along with the adrenaline rush from the activity, it's a cathartic experience for the city dweller a flushing of the body and mind..  
    I saw one other group actually making the whole trip,
BSA troop 234 from Parkwood Upjohn middle school  was trekking along, properly covered in rain gear and en route to a friends cabin on the lake shore.  I'm happy to say they made it all the way to the end of the trail, with smiling faces which means they may be back for more challenges in the future.
Personally, I had a great solo experience, set up camp in mid afternoon got a little rest and changed clothes before heading into town.  After dinner, drinks and some casual conversation at the bar at Clementine's in South Haven I was ready to crash out early and sleep in late.  The morning came around with a flock of wild turkeys as an alarm clock.  
After attacking a local breakfast buffet, I decided my tent needed more drying, the turkeys had found their way away... and I went back to sleep.
It was late morning before I got started back, but the weather now was perfect, the wind at my back and it's a damn good thing because this was the first loaded trip of the season and I was feeling it.  I took my time coming home and was pleasantly entertained by a few families out for a Sunday stroll on their bikes.  That's what rail trails are all about right?  Somewhere during the weekend, I had misplaced a strap for my saddlebag, the one I use on the bottom to attach to the rear rack.  I figured I would find it in the midst of my clothes somewhere.  But when I got back to the parking lot after two days
there it was on the trunk of my car, where it had been all weekend.
People really are good

No comments:

Post a Comment