This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Frankenbike Mixte

     So I had this really nice Raleigh Mixte frame hanging around 
in the garage because it is technically too small for me and I replaced it with the infamous Byron.
As luck would have it, it is the right size for my college student son..
So I had it powdercoated a high gloss black (because he thinks himself some kind of emo geek) and rummaged through the parts bin for leftovers and came up with this.
It pretty well cleaned out the bin, the front wheel and fully adjustable stem came from my old Jamis Commuter, the fenders are hammered VO ordered in the wrong size, a leftover Pletscher rack, VO model 5 saddle, and compact crank 
A couple shimano Sora derailers, a VO rear wheel with a Mega Range freewheel,
some plain Falcon shifters and $10 Wellgo pedals (because he likes those)
 topped off with some handlebars I found in a trash heap,
a pair of interrupter levers,
to go with the original Weinmann centerpulls and
(since he is a totally tasteless college student) zebra striped wrap 
to go with his favorite purple cable lock.
Not a bad ride!
He initially complained about the leather saddle, I told him to give it a chance and haven't heard anything since.  That was two weeks ago, so I guess he adjusted.












No comments:

Post a Comment