Most of June and July was eaten up with some home improvement rather than cycling adventure but I did take a bit of a trip to my hometown of Galesburg, Ill. It's on the rail lines so I learned long ago that the train ride is better than driving through Chicago.
I rode the Brompton to our station and, after playing with my tablet for a couple hours on the train, camped out in Union Station for a couple hours for the train change.
I was sitting watching hundreds of young women fnding their way through Union Station dressed in very suggestive, revealing outfits.There were so many I began to wonder if there was a hooker convention in town.
Darn, no such luck, Lollipalooza was going on in Grant's Park. These were the suburban chicks dressin" up for the day and catching a train to avoid traffic.
Oh well, thanks for the eye candy girls!
I went on my way to Galesburg, Il. where I spent an evening with a group of high school friends for drinks and dinner. We had a night of plasant remembrance and catch up on our grand kids and golf scores. A number asked abut my cycling and were incredulous that I continued to ride as I do. My only answer is that I can because I do. Of course at my age it's easier to ride 50 miles than get off the couch. I'm glad people thought far enough ahead to organize an evening together.
I can't ignore the craziness of the bike news the past couple weeks. The goofball in charge of DOT has declared bike lanes to be DEI and withdrew future funding. Now this is stupid on a couple levels. Bike lanes have nothing to do with race or gender (the subject of DEI policy) but it's even more ludicrous than that. There are 10's of millions of cyclists in this country (I've heard as much as 70m), the vast majority of whom, based on my 50 years of experience, are white men. I thought these Bozo's were advocating the interests...oops! I'm sorry, the SACRED privileges of white men. It looks like, once again, the administration has stepped on a rake and bonked themselves in the face.




No comments:
Post a Comment