This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Leelanau Harvest

I was waiting and waiting to see if the weather was going to cooperate and fulfill the long range forecast hope. Hey it worked!  I had great weather for a weekend in the woods.  The Leelanau Harvest Tour is a charity ride I hadn't ridden.  Starting  a few miles northwest of Traverse City

 on the Leelanau Trail which is also part of US Bike Route 35 following the lake shore from New Buffalo to
 Mackinaw City.
We didn't do  that, but the trail is a beautifully paved trail to start the ride, cutting through the orchards and vineyards of the Leelanau peninsula.
Dancing ornaments were found
as well as the ripened orchards of the area
until we reached the main attraction.  
Lake Leelanau is enourmous and was peeking
 through the trees all along the roads.
Unlike the Paw Paw harvest tour
 there were more orchards than vineyards
 and I missed the fragrance filling every breath.
E-bikers were out gliding through the hilly course,
not with  monsterous mountains
but frequent steep climbs. 
I'll admit to some conceited smugness as 
I pedaled my Sam Hillborne past a number of
 spandex hamsters pushing their 
crabon crotch rockets up the grades.
It was a windless 40 mile ride through the fruit industry
 back to the village of Suttons Bay on the big lake
where a few hundred surviving riders shared 
 lunch, ice cream and stories.
It was a welcome break from the routine and another
night in the woods by the lake at Interlochen.







No comments:

Post a Comment