This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, May 15, 2023

      Didn't have a thing to do for a few days and the weather was cooperating for a change.  There were a few passing rain showers on Saturday morning but not the thunderstorms predicted.  I decided to make a ride to the coast for dinner.  

The Hunq needed some exercise so I loaded him and wandered out to the bike show in the middle of town where presenters from different shops and  bike enthusiasts had set up presentations for their organizations. 

Our local bike club, the KBC, was there
Everybody was talking bikes and rides and riding and showing off their latest.  It was a good turnout and I hope it grows as an introduction to Bike Week activities every year.
     After an hour or so of hanging out talkin' bikes, it was time to ride and the weather was great, the wind was mild and helpful (remember that), a passing downpour caught me just as I reached a small shelter on the trail.  But the trail was a casual afternoon ride with friendly passing groups all the way to South Haven 
which was busy with tourist traffic, not thronged, but busy, and people looked relieved to get out after the unpredictable spring weather we have had.  There were groups on the beach but not many in the water this early.
The restaurants were not so busy you couldn't find a seat and I reached the most popular right during the dinner hour.  After some much deserved well presented calories supplemented with Oberon, it was gettin' on late evening and I moseyed back down the trail to Eagles Point to find the campsites open and had pleasant evening with the trees and birdsong providing the background score to the forest and wildflowers.
     Refreshed in the morning I started the ride back with moderate temps and sunshine to enjoy on the 40 mile ramble home.  It's a good thing I wasn't in a hurry.  Remember that wind thing I mentioned?  Well, as meteorologic events go, it kinda sucked.  It was a beautiful day and a good thing I had nothing to do because the 15 mile per hour wind was directly in my face all the way back to Kalamazoo.  
     Then there was this.  Faced with a 15 mph wind against a consistent 1 1/2 per cent grade, on a 70 lb bike,  they remind you EVERY 1/2 mile how little you travel.  This is cruel and unusual, like water torture.  I wouldn't notice it in July or August but today I would.  It's nothing I haven't done before, just gear into a comfortable cadence and keep going.  It was an exercise in patience but I did run across a couple of friends, Gordy Vader and Paul Guthrie out enjoying the trail as well.  I finally got to town and turned the corner out of the wind and have to admit it was a great overnight ride on a wonderful weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment