This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Mammoth cosmetics

I've had my Hunqapillar for nearly 10 years now and love it like the day I unboxed the frame.  The finish and paint scheme, while not classically beautiful, was unique and interesting.  

It worked great except that I built this bike to be abused on all types of roads and trails.  It got lots of abuse and the scratches and torn paint that goes along with the fun.
That didn't matter until Lowes stopped making the paint that EXACTLY matched the grey.  I couldn't live with not repairing those scratches and scrapes and there were lots of them. 
I had always liked the idea behind the original prototype, Bombadil.  It was made with a clear powder coat.  That didn't work out well, but in my searches I found a substitute finish called  Diamond Finish clear coat.  I had the frame stripped professionally, ordered a new set of decals and finished the frame myself.
      I loved the raw look and the way the brass brazing material highlighted the lug details.  It held up well for a couple of years and scratches were easily fixed with clear nail polish.
Unfortunately, on my last trip, I was caught in the monsoon deluge that drowned the mid west.  After returning I found scratches and chips that had been penetrated by the rain.  It shouldn't have been a deal at all but the volume of rain was immersive.  When I went to touch up those spots with a Dremel and nail polish,  it wasn't as easy as before.  Large patches of finish just peeled off in big chunks unlike anything I had seen.  That would not work, so Plan B went into effect.
      Plan B sounds simple.  Pack up the bike and send it to Groody Bros. who specialize in powdercoating bikes.  But when I e-mailed them, they immediately issued a statement on their website that there was "at least an 8-10 week wait" before they would get to any new work.  I searched the internet and found a local powdercoater (TLR Coatings) who does a lot of  detailed work on car parts, and had actually done bike frames before.  We talked, I took the bike to him, he explained it would be 4 weeks.  That was better than 8-10 so I left it and waited.   4 weeks came and went.  Separation anxiety set in.  Seriously, I had bad dreams about  this.
     After almost 7 weeks, I sent him an e-mail for an update.  By coincidence, he had just finished it.  I picked it up the next business day and the work was excellent.  I had gotten no response from Rivendell when I inquired about a decal set (they probably want to hold what they have for custom orders) so I went to DIY Lettering.com, chose a font that I like and ordered some gold letters.
I was tempted to outline all the lug work but decided it would be too garish and simply filled the lug windows added the lettering and rebuilt it.  
    I had ordered a new set of Velocity wheels (the Clydesdale version with an SP Dynohub) and Rene Herse 44 mm tires.  
The bike looks pretty damn bad ass and elegant with the gold lettering and touches of brown accessories.  It was a long, long two summer months without any touring, but thank god I can get on the road a couple times before winter weather sets in.
 

3 comments:

  1. What a story! What a bike!
    The second shot from the top, looking at the bike straight on, makes it look like a super capable little monster tank. Then, scrolling down to the last shot, it is svelte, refined and dignified in it's new black cloak and gold accents. That's a pretty impressive jump! And 44mm tires!? Wow!

    Bang up job and well done downplaying the gold accents. That was a wise move. Too much is just... too much.

    Enjoy your new ride! What a beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josh, It was quite a transformation. I'm looking forward to a couple brief trips on it before winter sets in.
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. where is loxa beauty located

    ReplyDelete