This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, October 16, 2020

Activity in the age of the Plague

       Everybody is a bit fed up with this disease crap to say nothing of the politics which have developed around the issue of our health.  I went to a properly socially distanced/masked meeting of our bike club at an outdoor pavilion and most people are limiting their bike riding because of the lack of social support that exists.  Riding alone is not enough fun.  People like me are still out on the street and using bikes everyday, but most of the time I have no place to go.  There's only so many safe destinations out there and the lack of social interaction takes the fun out of the bike rides. 

       In addition, I've had to hobble away from the bike a bit lately because of an injury.  I didn't get hurt falling off my bike and skinning my knee or nothin'.  I hurt myself playing golf.  There you go.  Who could think golf is dangerous.  I hadn't played for a few years because of a shoulder injury, when I started again I kinda over did it and beat up my left foot real bad.  I can walk, but it hurts and I guess it will take a long time to heal.  I actually drove my car on a few errands in town the other day.  I was reminded why I ride. 

I felt in much more danger driving my car, and will probably have to put gas in it twice this month.  Driving in the city limits should be illegal, it sucks, how  do people even live?   

       All this  has kept me off the bike more than the past few years.

but it hasn't kept me from buying new bike shit!  
That new saddlebag from Rivendell on the blue Hillborne is really beautiful.  It adds enough room to carry some groceries (a 12 pack) on the way home, or a few days of clothing if I make a credit card trip.  The leather accents really pimp out the look.

I went a little overboard on a new raincape from Cleverhood but have no buyer's remorse.  It has only rained one day since I bought it but it is the bomb!  The real advantage to a rain cape is ventilation.  Unlike a jacket, it allows air flow underneath and doesn't force you to drown in your sweat getting clammy and uncomfortable .The fabric is beautiful,
 there are real reflective threads woven in,
 it's totally waterproof and looks classy at any destination.  Of course it's not for spandex hamsters, it will slow you down in the wind.  If you're determined to sacrifice for  speed, get wet.
The real upgrade for the year has been the Brompton.  There is no way to describe how useful this weird looking toy can be.  It is shockingly comfortable to ride.  
The main tubes provide nifty places to stash tools and a spare tube,

and routine shopping trips become a pleasure without leaving it with all the department store bikes at the bike rack.  A much better machine than the Dahon Expresso I owned, it has expanded my horizons of urban cycling and I can't wait to try it out this winter with studded tires.  

1 comment: