This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Scouting the Huron Forest

      Some things motivate a few days away from town.  The desire to get OUT is one of them.  So a car camping trip is in the order to escape the noise of home, the routine of riding the same roads over and over without an destination and there was the chance to see the Perseid meteor shower without the city lights nearby.  I haven't really been to the eastern side of our Manistee/Huron national forest in years. 

                   

The bigger tent and queen size mattress felt like bringing home along.  NPS campsites always provide plenty of room and privacy.  Without electricity there are very few RV's to trailer park the place to death.

I found a spot with NNE exposure to the sky in case I had a chance to see the astral fireworks during the night.
During the day I was befriended by clouds of dragon flies silently hovering around to keep me company.
It was a weekday and the campground was conspicuously deserted
as were most of the roads.  The main roads throughout the forest are excellent for road biking with little traffic and generally well maintained asphalt on the shoulders.  The gravel roads I found during the day were good and I had the chance to let them deteriorate into some challenging single track/hiking/horse trails until I realized I needed more than 35mm tires.
There is always a short ride over to Lake Huron for a scenic view.  Overall, the brief trip was relaxing and I got a good lay of the land.  Mission was accomplished as the meteor shower put on a good show for a while before bed.  It wasn't really spectacular but amazing that specks of dust and ice can produce a natural phenomenon.  I got up at 3 AM to see if the show was brighter and bigger, but the Moon had risen and was bright enough to obscure the show.  
     The roads appear very interesting for several days of exploring and I've heard the Ausable River is excellent for Trout fishing.  I was well above the river on the cliffs so I didn't try it this time, but another longer trip looks promising before the season ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment