This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Clipless is a misnomer so why bother?

     It seems like years since I quit using clipless pedals and cleated shoes.   In fact it has been over 5 years since I quit using them on my road bike.and nearly three years since I replaced them on my touring bike.  It wasn't difficult at all the roadie pedals broke, I put platforms with regular toe clips on and realized I didn't miss anything but the pain of hotfoot.  Linguistically it was an insult, after all, they do have clips, that's what holds the cleat. In fact having gone several years completely detached from my bike, I think clip less pedals are the single greatest deterrent to cycling.
Really, how often do people think of riding their bikes but change their mind because they don't want to dress for it?  Now a pair of shorts or a golf shirt will work, but what about the shoes?   I know all the sales people will tell you there is nothing to compare to them.  Most riders claim a 20% increase in efficiency.  They may be helpful in a race, there is data and tests to the contrary, but how many people race anyway? Is the questionable and negligible efficiency working for you when you drive to work?  Or when you drive to the movies or dinner?  I have found platforms with little spikes (actually set screws) work just as well for me.

I've had roadies worry that they look heavy, but even the MKS Grip King 
only weigh an ounce more than the Wellgo clip less pedals I used to use.
With spiked pedals your feet don't slip, you lose little or no efficiency and
 can just jump on the bike and ride with any pair of shoes you are wearing.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed. I have never tried "clipless" pedals and doubt I ever will. I put cages on the single speed, but everything else is a plain plaftorm. I do love the MKS Lambda/Grip King, and have them on my touring bike. Batman's own pedal, and spins forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I love my MKS Sylvan touring pedals with power grips. I have the straps set loose enough to fit my hiking shoes, which means I can wear any shoes I own with them.

    ReplyDelete