This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Viral Adventures

   I have been spending the last couple of days in bed.  My son, bless his pointed little head, brought a virus home from the local campus and, after he recovered I was struck down.  I get pretty self-piteous when I'm ill.  Probably because I don't get ill.  I really don't know how to act or what to do, I guess people take this for granted a couple of times a year, it still ain't right!  All this sitting about doing nothing but wheezing, coughing, sneezing and sleeping is boring.
   Fortunately, the day before I was struck down with this dread disease I received a membership packet from Adventure Cycling.  I had sent in a voucher given to the local club for a free year of membership.  I got back two catalogues.  One a list of their guided tours, the other a bunch of merchandise.  Since I am ill I know I won't be able to attend Interbike in Las Vegas to be astounded by the latest greatest gizmos in the world of faux racing, so looking at their catalog is all I have.   It's nice to see a bunch of really practical stuff made for real bike travel.  The real enlightening thing was the selection of maps, especially the maps of the Continental Divide Trail.  I've had it in the back of my mind since I bought the Hunqapillar.  The CDT was the proving ground for the prototype, and that captured my imagination.  Now after looking through the maps and few internet testimonies, I'm as geeked up as a sick 60 year old can be.  It looks doable, at least a large part of it.  I'll be thinking of this all weekend as I swill my Nyquil and blow my nose.
    That's about it, I'm going back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment