This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Some final touches

After I finished the handlebars on the Hunq, I did a little rustproofing.
I'm not really afraid of rust inside my bikes but it does make sense to treat the tubes with an inhibitor
since it's simple, cheap and easy to do.
There are a lot of treatments around, but I use  LPS 3.  
It's not a bike specific product, but an industrial strength anti-corrosive I find at a local hardware store.
I've never seen it at a big box so don't waste your time.  It's fairly inexpensive (less than $5 for the can you see), and will treat two or three frames well.  Just stick the little straw in all the little holes in all the tubes and spray for a while.
There's no way to know for sure if you covered all the surface but it's a safe bet you will if it's done on an annual or semi-annual basis.
I usually put some car wax on the outside for protection after treating the frame.
Not only does it protect the paint and make it all nice and shiny again,  it gives you a chance to turn the bike over and over again before the wax on the inside of the bike dries.  I just hope it sort of sloshes around and 
covers the inside of the tubes a little more thoroughly.
After shining it up with a soft cloth or paper towel this little project is just waiting for the new shifter mounts to be ready for some serious play in the snow.  If we ever get any.

No comments:

Post a Comment