This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

a "kinda" critical review of bike racks

While I was out the other day I thought I would take a look at the parking facilities in town.  
There are hundreds of cycle "racks" and parking spaces around in a "bike friendly" college town.

Of course the worst are the front tire racks
which are nothing but front tire racks and provide no security for the bike.
which is why neither I nor these other visitors used them.
The city has been good enough to pepper the business district with these, 
they make a great place to lean a bike and lock the frame and wheels.
but I found one with the instructions and realized I was wrong. 
They are  really quite complicated and I was using them wrong.
I'm hoping not to get a ticket in the future, I'd rather just lean and lock.
These are truly nice, lean and lock  stands outside a local microbrew.
A more roomy variety exists outside the local library and make it easy to lock a bike in many positions.
A more imaginative exercise in "sustainable" use of old frames looks cool outside the local food coop but the are as bad as the front wheel rack for security.
A different configuration behind the building for employee parking is more realistic.
Of course these are nice and provide stability and security, 
as long as the tubes aren't too thick for a U-Lock.

The covered version in the parking garage is neat, 
in how many cities can you find that?
The best, and my all time favorite are not the result of any attempt to be bike friendly.
They are found in cities who, out of environmental conscience,
cage the ornamental trees along the streets, making convenient and secure parking available every few feet.  
It's a fringe benefit from  protecting the asphalt and concrete from the danger of aggressive encroachment by nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment