This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Holiday weekend

    Yesterday, I went out and made another test run on the Hunqa 29er at the Al Sabo preserve.    It was a pleasant experience. Most of my childish apprehension has begun to go away.  I feel comfortable maneuvering around and into crevices, roots and tree limbs while climbing or descending, I completed the 7 mile course twice without major incident.  

       
       The only thing that going to be necessary will be the addition of some cross interrupter levers and, if I am really, crazy serious, some thumb shifters on the top bar.  Since the Hunqa is set up similar to a cross bike, I polled a forum about the favorite shifters among the serious cross racers.  The few who replied were in support of brifters, but I can't see it for my use.  I'm not a racer, don't intend to be, so split second gear changing to optimize my performance isn't necessary.  I like the simplicity of friction shifting and the thumbies will be almost as useful touring as the bar-end.  I've had trouble bumping the bar-end shifters when I'm out of the saddle both in the woods and on the road, so I don't think they are the right fit for me.  A new cockpit for the Hunq will be on the winter project list for this year.
       We have a holiday weekend and I will be going out to the Yankee Springs trails on Sunday.  I know they will be busy with some "real" mountain bikers, so I just hope not to get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment