This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Winter riding

Winter riding can be a real pleasure.  The crisp cool air, the quiet which is created by the layer of pooffy insulation all around, no sweat, but still people are afraid of it.  I understand why drivers worry, after all they are responsible for  stopping two tons of steel on a frozen surface.  But biking is relatively pleasant this time of year.
The typical street in Michigan
is wet.  That's about it, and while we have to worry about windchill, the real problem is the same as cross-country skiing-overdressing.  I have found that a base layer under my regular clothes and a fleece or woolen jacket are all that are needed.
      Normally when I start out I feel like I am f*&%#@g crazy,

but a few minutes on the road and I am unzipping and trying get cooled off.  By the time I get where I'm going
I find out I am not the only one

who is crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment